mmerse yourself in the Gibbon Experience, two innovative programs centering on a network of canopy huts that provide a rare opportunity to see black-cheeked crested gibbons, once thought to be extinct. Overnight accommodation is in a canopy tree house with excellent views of the surrounding Bokeo Forest Reserve.
Classic Gibbon Experience
The Classic Gibbon Experience presents a relaxing and peaceful journey, with only an hour of essential walking. Trekkers choose how to spend their time; there is no schedule; food comes when you are hungry; and the guides are always be around and at your service.
Groups of eight people depart on alternate days at 9:00 am for two nights in the Bokeo Nature Reserve.
The Waterfall Gibbon Experience
The Waterfall Gibbon Experience takes trekkers deeper into the Bokeo Nature Reserve, with two to three hours of hiking per day along the Nam Nga River.
A freshwater swimming hole sits at the base of one waterfall tree house. The other tree house offers sunsets views overlooking several valleys.
Two groups of four people depart on alternate days at 7:30 am for two nights in Bokeo Nature Reserve, and they swap tree houses for the second night.
The Gibbon Experience Includes:
- Exclusive access to Bokeo Nature Reserve
- Accommodation in a canopy level tree house
- Semi-private bedrooms with spectacular viewsDelicious snacks and fire cooked meals
- Unlimited access to explore the forest
- Local guides eager to show you the forest and its inhabitants
- Transportation to and from Bokeo Nature Reserve
What to bring to The Gibbon Experience:
- A small rucksack - leave your main luggage with us
- A bottle of water - for the walk into the forest
- Mosquito repellent - a long-sleeved shirt is also recommended for avoiding bites and stings
- A camera - remember to charge your batteries!
- A flashlight - available if required
To participate in the Gibbon Experience, contact the its office in Houeixay, Bokeo Province.
Tel: (+856-84) 212-021
"The Gibbon Experience is being developed by Animo, a conservation-based eco-tourism company with a mandate from the Lao government to facilitate the sustainable and profitable conservation of the Bokeo Nature Reserve in conjunction with the indigenous inhabitants of the protected area."